Don't judge a BEET by its cover!
Here's another food that I find people tend to shy away from. But, you shouldn't! Although they don't look appetizing at all- the brown scaly skin, feels more like a baseball than a veggie, and looks rather dirty. I get it...but you must try them!
They are one of my favourite veggies now and they are so healthy for you!
They:
- contain betalains - provides antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and detoxification benefits
- no fat or calories
- regarded as body fuel (super energizing!) since its high in carbs
- contains sodium, magnesium, calcium, iron, phosphorous
- considered a fibre food
- contains vit. A and C, and niacin
- contains folic acid (great for production and maintenance of new cells - great if you're preggers) - also contains B vitamin folate which helps when developing the infant's spinal column
- In Ancient times, beetroot was given to cure constipation and digestive discomfort
- *possible link to anti-cancer benefits, especially colon cancers (thanks to Betacyanin! The pigment that makes the beet so red)
- beet juice is known as a blood purifier that helps create red blood cells
- helps with high blood pressure - some experts say a glass of beet juice cures high blood pressure
- good for your heart - beet fibre helps reduce cholesterol and triglycerides by increasing the level of HDL
How to Prepare Beets
Visit this website. So informative!
http://www.kraftcanada.com/en/cooking-tips/stepbysteprecipes/vegetables/cookingbeets.aspx
Some Recipes to Try out!
1. Easy salad - Roasted Beets and Sauteed Beet Greens
2. A variety of recipes here - Canadian Living
3. My favourite! Roasted Beets
4. Juicin' it! Check out my 2 amateur videos below. It's always weird watching yourself or hearing your voice on video, eh?
Video 1:
Video 2:
BEET FYI
Do not worry if you see your waste elimination or urine, redden in colour. This is called beeturia and an estimated 10-15% US adults experience it. However, it is suggested that people who experience beeturia could have issues with iron metabolism. People with iron (deficiency or excess) are more likely to experience it. Visit your doctor if you are concerned with iron related issues.
Also, throughout my research, I discovered that people with kidney or gallbladder problems should limit or avoid beets. Apparently, when in excess, body fluid may crystallize? Not sure what this really means but thought I would mention it.
Not bad for an ugly looking veggie, eh? So, don't be scared of beets. I'd love to know how you use beets or how your first virgin beet experience works out.
Research Credits:
http://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/vegetable/health-benefits-of-beet.html
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=49
http://voices.yahoo.com/15-health-benefits-beets-fight-cancer-more-805501.html
Wow, that's amazing! I don't mind beets, but I think I'll eat them a WHOLE lot more now! Thanks for this post! Great job!
ReplyDeleteI'm trying beets tonight just bc of u!
ReplyDelete